Destination Guide to The Algarve
Discover the beautiful region of The Algarve with Avis
The Algarve is Portugal's premier holiday destination and it is undeniably beautiful. There are dramatic cliffs, breathtaking shorelines and long, sun-kissed beaches with golden sand. The Algarve also manages to blend the busier tourist enclaves with the quieter, more traditional towns and villages that are nestled inland.
€ Currency: Euro
The Algarve Road Trip
Hiring a car is a fantastic way to explore the beautiful Algarve. Grab a car at Faro, and head off West towards Lagos, until you see the N125 which will take you to Villa do Bispo. Then continue on the N268 and head for Sagres. Any of the little side tracks along the way, like the one to the tiny town of Salerma, are well worth a look.Book Now View Cars
Interactive map of The Algarve
Top spots to visit with an Avis car
Silves Castle, Silves
This magnificant castle is the grandest monument to Islamic rule in the Algarve. Built on 4th century Roman fortifications, the views from the ramparts are well worth the drive.
Museu Municipal, Faro
This domed and splendid 16th-century building, in what was once the Jewish quarter, houses the Museu Municipal. The museum holds more than 13,000 exhibits, mostly of archaeological and historical interest.
Loule Market, Loule
On Saturday morning this wonderful market is stacked to the rafters with the freshest Portuguese produce. Leave plenty of boot space for the fantastic fish, herbs, sausages, cakes and preserves.
San Lorenzo Golf Club, Quinto do Lago
This is one of continental Europe's top five golf courses. The spectacular 18th hole requires an approach shot over the lake. Throw your clubs in the car and enjoy some world class golf.
Southwest Charters, Lagos
Swap the car for the open sea with a powerboat or yacht charter. Both daily and weekly rentals are available.
Useful driving tips
- A right hand side road system operates in Portugal
- 120kph Motorways
- 50kph Urban Areas
- The drink driving limit is stricter than in the UK. The limit is 50mg/100ml
- Dual carriage-ways often have traffic lights to allow traffic to cross.
- The use of mobile phones whilst driving is illegal, unless you are using hands-free equipment.
- The use of safety belts is always compulsory.
Avis benefits for The Algarve
- Over 6000 locations in over 168 countries
- Representation at all major airports
- Take advantage of our speed of service with Avis Preferred
- Peace of mind of booking with an international company